This is the text of a document, U.S. Subchaser No. 227, from Sub Chaser Subject Files, 1911 to 1927, National Archives, Washington, D.C. Transcription by Todd Woofenden.
U.S. SUBMARINE CHASER No. 227
The S.C. 227 was built by the New York Yacht, Launch and Engine Company, Morris Heights, N.Y., under contract of April 16, 1917, at a cost of $72,600 for hull and machinery. Her length was 105 feet, b.p.; breadth on load water line, 14 feet, 8 3/4 inches; normal displacement, 77 tons; speed 18 knots; complement, 27 officers and men and her armament consisted of 1 3", 23 cal.; 1 Y gun and 2 machine guns.
Ensign George P. Morse, USNRF was in command during her entire career. She was commissioned December 24, 1917. While attached to the Third Naval District, orders were received to proceed to Charleston, S.C., and she got under way January 14, 1918. A trip was made to Norfolk, Va., between January 18th and 25th, 1918. The S.C. 227 remained at Charleston until March 25, 1918 when she sailed for Bermuda to join a number of other vessels for distant service.
The convoy which was comprised of a number of submarine chasers, Army tugs, French tug, British submarine and was under command of the U.S.S. LEONIDAS, set sail from Bermuda, April 8, 1918, for the Azores. From April 22 to May 7, 1918, the submarine chasers and the LEONIDAS remained at Ponta del Gada, re¬organizing, taking on fresh supplies, etc.
On May 7, 1918, the convoy set sail again for Gibraltar.
On May 9, 1918, at 1:35 a.m., the periscope and conning tower of a submarine were sighted by the S.C. 227 and S.C. 338. The submarine made one small circle around the Division and began a large circle when a depth charge was dropped from each of the submarine chasers, after which the submarine apparently laid still for some twenty minutes, then headed South, South-east towards the Fleet for a short distance then ran off towards the North-west.
The entire convoy anchored in Gibraltar harbor May 13, 1918.
On May 17th, submarine hunting operations were begun. At 1:45 p.m., while sweeping one mile off shore in Catalina Bay, Spain, a periscope wake was seen astern distant about 1/8 mile. The 9th Division of chasers, consisting of the S.C. 338, 147 and 227, instantly went ship's right and headed for the wake. The Division headed over to the spot where the periscope was last soon and a depth charge dropped by the S.C. 338 and another by the S.C. 227. The Division then swept the area, but aside from a small quantity of oil and floating oily waste, nothing was seen of the submarine.
Hunting operations were continued in this section of the Atlantic until the S.C. 227, a number of other submarine chasers and the U.S.S. LEONIDAS sailed May 19, 1918, from Gibraltar for Malta. Cruising operations were resumed from this port until the S.C. 227 continued with the LEONIDAS and chasers to Corfu, arriving there June 8, 1918. Here the S.C. 227 was permanently attached to this base and assigned to duty with Subchaser Detachment No. 2. The Submarine chasers were divided into hunting Units, the S.C. 227 being a part of Unit F. These Units operated alternately from the base patrolling the areas in the vicinity and searching for submarines.
After the signing of the Armistice visits were made by the submarine chasers of the Corfu force to Mediterranean and Adriatic ports to investigate conditions in connection with the terms of the Armistice.
On June 28, 1919, the S.C. 227 joined the LEONIDAS and twelve chasers at Gibraltar and sailed for Lisbon. They left the latter port for home, via the Azores and Bermuda, July 19,1919, and the S.C. 227 arrived at New York, August 19, 1919. She was placed cut of commission September 10, 1919 and placed on sale. Was sold, October 14, 1924, to G.F. Rosenfield, President of the Florida Boat Company, Washington, D.C.
McH. July 18, 1927.